A quick update on latest developments
from the Road Running Leadership Group:
1. RRLG elections - deadline today
The deadline for submission of application forms is Tuesday 15th January - today. If you would like to stand for election and have not already applied, you have until close of business to do so. The details are on the UK Athletics site at: http://www.ukathletics.net/press-centre/news-archive/december-2007/article-12/
2. Forthcoming RRLG update meetings
As you are probably aware, we are holding meetings at Exeter on 23rd January and Gateshead on 24th January. The Exeter meeting is nearly full, there are a few places left at Gateshead. Please email me if you are interested in attending.
3. Development begins on road running web portal
Development has begun in earnest on the road running web portal. In the interests of speed-to-market and the most cost-effective solution, we are customising a tried-and-tested system, Clubs Online, currently in use in Australia from grass roots through to national sports organisations, including Athletics Australia, the Melbourne Marathon and Ironman Australia.
Clubs Online is an online membership, subscription management and event registration system incorporating integrated email systems. It was initially designed to cater primarily to volunteer clubs, which means it was built on the premise of being simple to use, requiring no special software or computer skills.
The RRLG selected Clubs Online, developed by IMG eCommerce, after a review of a number of alternative systems, basing its decision on the quality and flexibility of the system, its proven success in the Australian market and an attractive pricing model that will offer runners and race organisers better value and return more income to the sport of road running in the UK.
The full release of the road running portal is scheduled for summer 2008. Benefits to race organisers and affiliated clubs will include:
- a race organiser's portal, incorporating a race organiser's guide and discussion forums to address the key challenges faced by race organisers such as working with police and local authorities, marketing, medical issues and attracting volunteers
- micro-sites for races and clubs, developed and hosted free-of-charge
- an online entry system enabling club members to enter licensed races online for very low administration fees
- email communication tools to enable race organisers and club officials to market to runners in their local areas
- a comprehensive race directory showing details of all officially licensed races
- an online results tool that will, over time, become the definitive repository for race results at all levels
Runners will benefit from cheaper race entry, expert-moderated discussion forums, informative running content and a single web location for club and race information, and will be able to opt-in for regular e-Newsletters addressing key road running topics.
Further details will be announced in February. Please drop me a line if you have any questions or would like to discuss further.
Road Running Leadership Group
Back to homepage